Leaving on a Barbie Jet Plane…or Short trip to Santa Barbara

After CHA I went to Santa Barbara on the tiniest plane (will show picture later) aka Barbie Jet ever. My hubs had left Hamburg earlier in January to work there and I was going to visit him for 3 days :) He picked me up at the tiniest airport ever – when I sent a short message “landed” , he replied with “I know- I can see you” – and that was not a joke- LOL. When I came out of the plane I saw him at the gate.

CHA_35

I love California- I am a summer and sun girl…looking out of the window to this…makes me happy!

CHA_36

3 days filled with the beach

CHA_37

yummie meals with and without friends and family :)

CHA_38

awesome street art which was even more awesome up close

CHA_39

and funky stuff

CHA_40

and some shopping for head bands and earrings

CHA_41

and sightseeing in the old court house of Santa Barbara

CHA_42

indulging the jurassic park feeling aka- vegetation

CHA_43

and did I mention beach? …

CHA_44

and a road trip to the mountain town Ojai – loved it

CHA_45

Visiting the coolest bookshop I have ever been to: Bart’s Books- which is in and out-side at the same time

CHA_46

spending time with cousin Beth and hubs

CHA_47

oh…and did I mention the beach? ;)

CHA_48

And then it was time to leave Santa Barbara on my little Barbie jet again ;)

CHA_49

to start a torture journey- which I didn’t know of at the beginning. As there was ice and snow in Frankfurt and the trip ended in a 27 hour trip with cancelled flights and 5 1/2 hour train trips in the end…and ….luggage that took 3 days to get home

CHA_50

here is the iced window of the plane we were waiting for kick off for an hour before they cancelled that one too and we had to leave the plane again. But in the end…who cares…LOL- I am home, I had an amazing time and it is good to be home with kitty and hubs…well technically speaking I am right now when you read this again in Frankfurt to work at Paperworld Convention…this time with carry on luggage…might be better ;)

What was the smallest airport you have ever been to?

Have a gorgeous weekend

• Kathy P

How wonderful to have some time to connect with your hubbie in Santa Barbara…..the coastal towns of CA are just awesome. Great pics……did you see any beaches? LOL…..They do have awesome art in CA, and if you return, you should try to get to Cambria….cute artsy town!
    The smallest airport I’ve been in? Hmmm……I think it would be Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I am a reluctant flyer at best, although I have gotten better over the last 20 years…..but I don’t like small planes at all!

• rains

I’ve been in lots of small planes but never one that was that cool! Smallest airport was on a Hawaiian island, can’t remember the name. It was a looong time ago. The orange wall made up of those tiny figures is amazing!

• Susan

I love those blue skies!! The smallest airport I ever landed and took of is Dothan in Alabama. I could see my love waiting for me when I was still in the plane. Samething when I left. But I have to say “your” airplane looks hot!! My first time flying was from Toulouse in France to Brussels in Belgium in an older looking airplane than “yours” and I think it was smaller, and I could here the screws rattle… not a very nice first flight!
    I hope you had a faboulous time!

Love Susan

• Elizabeth K

I’ve landed at 2 “airports” where the host knew we had arrived because they heard the plane arriving. The smaller of the 2 only had a small one-room office structure & a dirt landing track. The flight was fun – a small 8 seater. I sat next to the pilot & morning tea was served from a large thermos & the pilot’s mother made the cake…and yes, it was a commercial flight.

• Lyn Wareham

Oh my, what a journey! We went on a trip to Kenya and flew in a little (8 seater I think) plane from Mount Kenya to the Masai Mara – the views were awesome! As we were about to land we could see the Masai guy herding his goats off of the runway and the ‘waiting room’ was a little open-sided shack with a straw roof.

• Gela (@Gela65)

I travel often because I have to pre-medicate myself in anti-nausea medication. I’ve flown from Boston Massachusetts to Presque Isle Maine in a plane that small. The Presque Isle “international” airport is very, very small. The main reason I dont travel to Maine anymore is because of THAT plane. There was always so much t turbulence from Boston to Maine. One year I puked my guts out even though I had taken medication. On that flight I was not the only one that lost their cookies. That was the last time I went to Maine.

• Gela (@Gela65)

OOps I ment to say that I DON’T Travel often. :)

• Jenny Palmer

Our local airport you have to move the cows off the runway before a plane lands then it would be the air ambulance or a mining plane it is 135kms to the next airport which only has little planes and one check in desk

• Lorraine aka grannypoppy

Our airport has one room … for check-in, waiting, and departure … and in one corner, a desk for car rental. When it is time to depart, you walk out the door and onto the tarmac, about 30 steps, then climb up into the plane. When you arrive (all our planes are like your Barbie plane), you walk to the “baggage claim” area. The crew opens a hatch and passes your luggage through to you. LOL! It’s a 25 minute flight to Vancouver … much better than the 5 hour drive/ferry trip!

• paula cheney

gee whiz Nat you were 1 hour from my house. I would have driven you to Santa Barbara instead of taking that “puddle jumper” as we call them.
    paula

Paula- get out- I didn’t know! I might be there more often in the future ;) I will email you then and maybe we can meet :) hugs
      nat

• Jackie beeman

I don’t fly much, but did fly in my brother- in- laws tiny 4 seated to a funeral in neveda. Small airports coming and going. Now REALLY what do you think about our California beaches? Glad you had fun while you were here and eventually made it home safely.

1 2 3